- This training series will build capacity to address the whole survivor from an emotional, mental and therapeutic focus from a spiritual aspect of healing in enhancing response to sexual assault and providing services to underserved communities.
- MSCASA Faith based training is tailored to help faith based and religious organizations support survivors of sexual violence within their congregation and community to engage in prevention.
- Traditionally, people have turned to their pastor or faith leader for guidance and counsel regarding many issues in their lives.
- People seek support from their faith leaders to begin their path to healing. For this reason it is best to make preparation to respond to any needs that may come forth.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men experience some form of contact sexual violence in their lifetime, it is likely that at some point a member of your community will disclose an instance of sexual violence during the course of confession, marriage counseling, in a youth ministry group, or in Sunday school—so it is wise to have your staff and leaders prepared.
- For many people who have been sexually abused, it is extremely difficult to disclose their past or present experience, and you may be the first person they are telling.
- It is important to consider some of the reasons someone may not wish to share about their experience.
- Fear based on threats made by the perpetrator
- Fear of creating family turmoil, especially if the perpetrator is a family member
- Guilt, shame and the belief that it was their fault
- Perpetrator may be a church member or official
- Children are taught to obey adults or those in authority
RURAL Faith-based Training
April 19-20, 2021
April 26-27, 2021
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Registration is REQUIRED !
Training topics include, but are not limited to:
- Advocacy and Mobilization of Religious Institutions
- Dismantling the Misconceptions of Sexual Violence
- Navigating Philosophical Differences and Engaging Dialogue Within Faith Communities
- How Sexual Violence Impacts Spirituality
- Understanding and Respecting Religious and Cultural Influences
- Common Reactions to Trauma
- Role of Faith in the Healing Process
To request a training click here.