n collaboration with the Southaven Police Department, the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) will host the two-day IACP Enhancing Rural Law Enforcement Response to Violence Against Women training event on January 28 & 29, 2020. The training event will be held at: the West Precinct Classroom located at 7320 HWY 51, Southaven, MS 38671
- This training event is free to attend! Please register by January 23rd, 2020.
- Law enforcement (all ranks) and dispatch/communications professionals serving rural jurisdictions will be given priority registration.
- Class hours: 8 am – 5 pm
The goal of the training is to strengthen the capacity of rural law enforcement and dispatch/communications professionals to provide effective response to violence against women crimes, including domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and strangulation.
There are numerous barriers and challenges that may impact the ability of law enforcement to effectively respond to domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and strangulation in rural communities. Responding agencies may have limited personnel and resources and be required to patrol expansive geographic areas. Rural settings may inhibit law enforcement response time and the availability of and access to telephones and emergency services may be limited. Additionally, rural law enforcement agencies may find it difficult to remain up to date on changing and current promising practices because of limited access to training efforts and information.
Due to these unique complexities, the Enhancing Rural Law Enforcement Response to Violence Against Women training event aims to provide rural law enforcement the needed training to strengthen response to these crimes, identify effective methods and strategies to increase the safety of victims, officers, and communities, and better hold offenders accountable. The training content provides information on…
- Predominant aggressor determination
- Enforcement of protective orders
- Firearm seizures
- The neurobiological impact of trauma
- The influence of societal myths and stereotypes
- Understanding perpetrator behavior, and
- Conducting effective investigations, among other topics.
Online Registration: https://vawiacp.wufoo.com/forms/xaog10e154zist/